Wednesday, 21 July 2010

An idea that intrigues me

I just had an interesting conversation with a lovely lady called Briony. We were discussing ideas for a play to take to Edinburgh Festival next summer.

I had just read an article saying that this year over 50,000 people applied for Drama School in England alone. For the last few years it has only been around 20,000. Why the sudden surge? Are people more talented? Deluded? I don't know. All I know is that I got into one. What does that say about me? Was I just lucky? Do I have what it takes? I don't know. All I know is that I enjoy being on stage and will do what I can to get where I want to be, but I guess I'll find out soon enough whether it was justified or just luck...

This conversation brought about the issue of Britain's Got Talent, Big Brother, X Factor and even Come Dine With Me. Fame doesn't just require talent but balls. You may know you're not great but you can get onto any of these shows for being absolutely terrible: Andy Warhol's 15 minutes of Fame idea has become more relevant than ever before. I guess what I'm trying to say is that despite all the talent around there is an awful lot of shite to wade through to find it, and every year the heap of shit seems to get bigger and bigger.

How has 20,000 become 50,000? Who do we blame for this? The media?  YouTube? Ourselves?

As an idea I feel it is incredibly relevant today but unbelievably challenging to tackle considering I will be assessing the business that I so hope to become a part of. For all of you actors, singers, dancers out there ask yourself one question: Do I deserve to be where I am now?

Anyway this is an idea that can be expanded or dismissed, its just an idea I'm throwing out there. If anyone has any ideas how to expand it to a show or if its already been done please leave a little comment and let me know what you think.

2 comments:

  1. http://www.bbc.co.uk/blogs/thereporters/willgompertz/2010/07/new_theatrical_talent.html

    ReplyDelete
  2. They say it's not what you know, but who you know, don't they? It's not got a lot with whether you deserve it, or whether you're any good. I think your comment about needing balls is spot on. There's no point being talented, if you don't have the balls to put yourself out there, make contacts and promote yourself. It's shameful really, but unfortunately true in a business where you're only as good as your last review. Talent is subjective, great contacts are bread and butter.

    ReplyDelete