Friday, 25 December 2009

The superhero bandwagon

Hollywood seems to have found its new genre of movies: the comic book.

As we enter 2010 the last decade has been filled with several new comic book franchises: Batman, Iron Man, Sin City, Wolverine, Spiderman and The X Men to name a few, and it looks like Hollywood has know intention of stopping. I recently read a blog at http://www.empireonline.com/ that was discussing who should be cast as Captain America: Aaron Eckhart seemed to be getting the popular vote, as well as Will Smith. Personally, I think Val Kilmer would be good casting, or an extremely bulky Leonardo DiCaprio. In truth I just hope they do not attempt to make this movie. Yet it seems inevitable with the looming Avengers film to be announced in the new decade.

I can only hope that films like the Green Lantern, Thor, The Green Hornet, the sequel to Wolverine Origins as well as many others can meet the success that Iron man, Sin City and Batman had. Unfortunately, this will probably not be the case. Can you honestly see Seth Rogan as a crime busting hero? Absolutely not.

Hollywood has seen the future and it lies in the comic book fan base. No matter how terrible these movies will be I am definitely going to see them. Why? Because I'm a fan. When Spiderman broke box office records could you honestly say it was a great film? No it wasn't, and the only reason it did well is because its Spiderman.

I'm not against all comic book movies; I loved Batman, Sin City and Hellboy. Heck, I even liked Blade.

2010-2020 is going to be a very interesting decade for the comic book film as more and more are released. I just hope that Hollywood does them justice and delivers a decent film. I can only hope.

"Shhhh. My common sense is tingling"

No comments:

Post a Comment